Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Ultimate Playlist...5th through 8th Grade

In August of 1985, I started fifth grade at The Greenhill School in Addison, TX. I don't remember what I was wearing (and that's a shame), but I do recall the music that took me from 5th grade through 8th grade. I left Greenhill after sixth grade, and at the time, it was the only school I'd ever known. I left right before seventh grade too; the Bar Mitzvah and Bat Mitvah year. I still got invites though, but it wasn't the same.

I finished 8th grade in May of 1989 from the Lakehill Preparatory School in the liberal enclave of a neighborhood known as Lakewood in east Dallas, moments from White Rock Lake and the mansions that seem to float on the water just so.

So, the other day I was thinking about all of the great music from that period, and I figured that I should compile it in one place, and that's the beauty of an iPod. Thank you Steve Jobs.

In no particular order other than song title...

Shoutout to a young Video Hits One and a young BET.

Addicted to Love - Robert Palmer
After All - Peter Cetera & Cher
Always - Atlantic Starr
Always Remember - Andrae Crouch
Angel of Harlem - U2
Another Part of Me - Michael Jackson
Anything for You - Gloria Estefan and the Miami Sound Machine
Back to Life - Soul II Soul
Bad - Michael Jackson
Batdance - Prince
The Batman Theme - Danny Elfman
Breakout - Swing Out Sister
Bust A Move - Young MC
C'est La Vie - Robbie Nevil
Call Me Al - Paul Simon f. Ladysmith Black Mambazo
Can't Stay Away From You - Gloria Estefan
Candle in the Wind - Elton John
Casanova - Levert
Chanson Francaise - James Taylor
Cold Hearted - Paula Abdul
Come On Let's Go - Los Lobos - La Bamba Soundtrack
Crazy Love - Paul Simon f. Ladysmith Black Mambazo
Da Butt - E.U.
Dance Little Sister - Terence Trent D'Arby
Dancing on the Ceiling - Lionel Richie
Danger Zone - Kenny Loggins
Day-O - Harry Belafonte
A Day in the Life - The Beatles
Deja Vu - Dionne Warwick
Don't Be Cruel - Bobby Brown
Don't Dream It's Over - Crowded House
Don't Mean Nothing - Richard Marx
Don't Worry Be Happy - Bobby McFerrin
Earth Angel - New Edition
Endless Summer Nights - Richard Marx
Every Little Kiss - Bruce Horsnby and the Range
Every Little Step - Bobby Brown
Every Rose Has Its Thorn - Poison
Faith - George Michael
Fast Car - Tracy Chapman
Father Figure - George Michael
Fight For Your Right to Party - Beastie Boys
The Final Countdown - Europe
Forever Your Girl - Paula Abdul
Free Fallin' - Tom Petty and the Heart Breakers
Funky Cold Medina - Tone' Loc
Get Outta My Dreams - Billy Ocean
Girl You Know It's True - Milli Vanilli
Girls Ain't Nothing But Trouble - DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince
Giving You The Best That I Got - Anita Baker
Glory of Love - Peter Cetera
Going Home - Kenny G
Good Love - Anita Baker
Good Thing - Fine Young Cannibals
The Greatest Love of All - Whitney Houston
A Groovy Kind of Love - Phil Collins
A Hazy Shade of Winter - The Bangles
Head to Toe - Lisa Lisa and the Cult Jam
Heaven is a Place on Earth - Belinda Carlisle
Here I Go Again - Whitesnake
Higher Love - Steve Winwood
Hold On To The Nights - Richard Marx
How Can I Fall - Breathe
Hungry Eyes - Eric Carmen
I'm Only Human - Human League
I'm That Type of Guy - LL Cool J
I've Been In Love Before - Cutting Crew
I've Got My Mind Set On You - George Harrison
The Time of My Life - Bill Medley f. Jennifer Warnes
I Don't Want Your Love - Duran Duran
I Knew You Were Waiting for Me - Aretha Franklin and George Michael
I Miss You Like Crazy - Natalie Cole
I Need Love - LL Cool J
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - U2
I Think We're Alone Now - Tiffany
I Want To Dance With Somebody - Whitney Houston
I Want Your Sex - George Michael
If You Don't Know Me By Now - Simply Red
If You Let Me Stay - Terence Trent D'Arby
Iko Iko - The Dixie Cups
In Your Eyes - Peter Gabriel
Is This Love - Whitesnake
It Takes Two - Rob Base and DJ EZ Rock
Jumping Someone Else's Train - The Cure
Just Because - Anita Baker
Just Got Paid - Johnny Kemp
Just To See Her - Smokey Robinson
Killing an ... - The Cure
Kokomo - The Beach Boys
La Bamba - Los Lobos
La Isla Bonita - Madonna
The Lady In Red - Chris DeBurgh
Lean On Me - Club Nouveau
Leave Me Alone - Michael Jackson
Let's Wait Awhile - Janet Jackson
Like A Prayer - Madonna
Livin' On A Prayer - Bon Jovi
Loc'ed After Dark - Tone' Loc
Lost In Emotion - Lisa Lisa and the Cult Jam
Love Shack - The B-52's
Love Will Conquer All - Lionel Richie
Man in the Mirror - Michael Jackson
Mandolin Rain - Bruce Hornsby and The Range
Mary, Mary - Run DMC
Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard - Paul Simon
Me, Myself and I - De La Soul
Mediate - INXS
Meet Me Half Way - Kenny Loggins
Mercedes Boy - Pebbles
Moonlighting - Al Jarreau
More Than Words - Extreme
My Prerogative - Bobby Brown
Mystify - INXS
Need You Tonight - INXS
Never Gonna Give You Up - Rick Astley
Never Tear Us Apart - INXS
Next Time I Fall In Love - Peter Cetera and Amy Grant
A Nightmare on My Street - DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince
Nite and Day - Al B. Sure
No One in the World - Anita Baker
Nothing's Gonna Change My Love For You - Glenn Medeiros
Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now - Starship
Notorious - Duran Duran
On My Own - Patti LaBelle
On Our Own - Bobby Brown
One Moment in Time - Whitney Houston
One More Try - George Michael
Only In My Dreams - Debbie Gibson
Open Your Heart - Madonna
Opposites Attract - Paula Abdul
Paradise City - Guns N Roses
Parents Just Don't Understand - DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince
Partyman - Prince
Patience - Guns N Roses
Please Don't Go Girl - New Kids On The Block
The Pleasure Principle - Janet Jackson
Pour Some Sugar On Me - Def Leppard
Power of Love - Huey Lewis and the News
Push It - Salt N Pepa
Rapture - Anita Baker
Red, Red Wine - UB40
Rock Wit'cha - Bobby Brown
Run's House - Run DMC
Scandalous - Prince
Self Destruction - The Stop the Violence Movement
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise) - The Beatles
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles
Shattered Dreams - Johnny Hates Jazz
She's Leaving Home - The Beatles
She Drives Me Crazy - Fine Young Cannibals
Sign Your Name - Terence Trent D'Arby
Silhouette - Kenny G
Simply Irresistible - Robert Palmer
Skeletons - Stevie Wonder
Sleep Come Free Me - James Taylor
Something About You - Level 42
Songbird - Kenny G
Soul Food To Go - The Manhattan Transfer
St. Elmo's Fire (Man in Motion) - John Parr
Stand - R.E.M.
Stand By Me - Ben E. King
Straight Up - Paula Abdul
Sweet Child O' Mine - Guns N Roses
Tender Love - Force M.D.'s
There's Nothing Better Than Love - Luther Vandross and Gregory Hines
Time After Time - Cyndi Lauper
Top Gun Anthem - Harold Faltermeyer
True Colors - Cyndi Lauper
Two Hearts - Phil Collins
Up On The Roof - James Taylor
Walk This Way - Run DMC and Aerosmith
Wanted Dead or Alive - Bon Jovi
The Way You Make Me Feel - Michael Jackson
What I Am - Edie Brickell
What You Need - INXS
When I'm Sixty Four - The Beatles
When It's Love - Van Halen
When The Going Gets Tough - Billy Ocean
When We Was Fab - George Harrison
Where Do Broken Hearts Go - Whitney Houston
Where The Streets Have No Name - U2
Who's Lovin' You - Terence Trent D'Arby
Who's That Girl - Madonna
Wild Thing - Sam Kinison
Wild Thing - Tone' Loc
Wild Wild West - The Escape Club
Wind Beneath My Wings - Bette Midler
Wishing Well - Terence Trent D'Arby
With A Little Help From My Friends - The Beatles
You Give Love A Bad Name - Bon Jovi
You Got It All - The Jets
You Will Know - Stevie Wonder

My August 1985 until August 1989 respectively.

I'm Joe, and that's how I see it.

1 Comments:

At Friday, August 06, 2010 12:04:00 AM , Blogger Mike said...

Your blog has been recommended to us as a interviewee's favorite blog!
We would like to do an interview with you about your blog for Blog
Interviewer. We'd
like to give you the opportunity to
give us some insight on the "person behind the blog."
It would just take a few minutes of your time. The interview form can
be submitted online here Submit your interview.
Best regards,
Mike Thomas

 

Post a Comment

<< Home