Wednesday, December 11, 2002

I haven't been here in awhile due to obligations with school. I'm happy to say that I am officially back.

I have no excuse since I don't have class until January 15th at 9AM. So, I'll pretty much be writing everyday.

Here we go...
Funny thing happened on the way to graduation...This time, for the first time, I actually went to class. I know it sounds crazy, but I had no idea how one's education could be enhanced by simply going to class and taking school seriously. For the first time in my life, I am on the brink of graduation from College and I'm so damn excited, I don't know what the hell to do.

Other news...where do I begin? Bush, Iraq, my growing dissappointment with Vanity Fair, the Cowboys, My Mavs, Morehouse and women. This is going to kind of be like Pardon the Interruption, the greatest show next to Larry Sanders...on television.

Bush- Well, you get what you pay for. I mean, this thing with Iraq has been going on for over ten years now, and it's still unsolved. When the heck are we just gonna cut our losses and find a new alternative to this problem. Also, I'm a trifle concerned about the economy, since the Treasury secretary was dismissed last week. I don't remember a time in recent history when that's occurred, so it has me a little on edge, for in 2003, I'll be making real money for the first time in MY life. But, for all of you African Americans bored with politics, I've got a solution that will be lucrative for us...Blacks for Bush. Trust me, it'll work. We'll go around and talk about how much we dig the cat, how well he dresses and how swell he pimps, and in the meantime gain access to things that before we only dreamed of...kinda like the way we do at Morehouse. Think about it...

Vanity Fair...I started reading the magazine because I am a worldly young man with a firm grasp of pop culture and all of its advantages. I have to admit that the rag has inspired some of my best and most memorable work, but I am becoming increasingly dissappointed with their output. The latest ingenue on the cover, takes away from the cool, slickness of the mag itself. It's almost taking itself far too seriously. They should take a page from GQ and stay on message.

Cowboys...If any one thing can break my heart it's the Dallas Cowboys. Ahead of the hated San Francisco 49ers on sunday with a little time to go, we let it slip away. Just ten years ago, the young class of the league and now ten years later, a punchline. As a consumer, a fan, and a citizen of Dallas, I am fed up with it. Jerry needs new blood in his team like I need my damn diploma. It's long overdue. It would be sad to see Campo go, (well not Morris Brown sad), but a change has got to come. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of the Cowboys life. Gone are the days of Charles Haley, The Triplets, Tony Tolbert, Russell Maryland, Leon Lett, Tony Casillas, Ken Norton, Darrin Smith, Robert Smith, Thomas Everett, Larry Brown, Kenny Gant, Alvin Harper, Mark Stepnoski, Jay Novacek, The Moose, Deion, Gogan and Gesek. These are the times of...hell I don't even know these guys. Jerry, bite the damn bullet...hire Jimmy as an advisor like the NIners did with Walsh, just please do something...fast.

Mavs...Yeah baby! Okay, we dropped one to the Naptown and the Staples got us again (Nash was on the bench too long in the 4th), but man...aren't we fun to watch? Dirk and Steve streak up the court, Raef and even Bradley making plays, Defense being played all around. It's a good time in Big D. The heart and soul is Mike Finley though. Old number 4 doesn't let things go bad, and forget what you heard, it's his team. Also, the Mavs may have the baddest bench in the league with Najera, Van Exel, Griffin, Bell and Johnson. The crazy thing is they just get better...

Morehouse...Lord willing, I'm graduating on May 18th. Bring the family, the kids, the grandparents, the everyone you can gather and bring yourself to Atlanta baby. We are setting this bad boy out. On May 17th, we're partying it up something nasty. A roast and dinner in honor of none other than yours truly and my roommate Roger Spencer Humphrey as well as a party that will last until dawn. It's been a long time comin'...

Women...Sinatra sang, "That's life, that's what the people say, you're riding high in April, shot down in May, but you get back on top in June!" I feel him. It's been crazy since June 2001. No concrete anything. Dating as much as possible to virtually no avail. And spending too much energy, as my father put it, pursuing women. But hey pally, it's all about the chase. Things are brightening up academically, and I have a feeling that things will all work out. I do want to say however, I often marvel at their beauty, style, grace, poise, intelligence, and at the same time, wonder about their decision making, reasoning, accountability and rational thought. It's kind of like the old joke: A man went to his friend and said, my brother's crazy he thinks he's a chicken. The guy tells him to turn his brother in. He says, I would but I need the eggs. More often than not, despite the craziness, and all it entails, we need the eggs.

The Larry Sanders Show...If you have Bravo on your cable network, don't overlook it. At 10pm and 1AM tune into Bravo and catch an hour of Larry Sanders. It is hilarious, fresh, funny, and it's in re-runs. I've never laughed so hard at a show in my life. It is so choice, I highly recommend it.


BONUS...Bucs Fans...Here's my sage advice. Just win one. Win it on the road, in the cold, or they will dog you forever about it, like the '94 Rockets (Jordan-less NBA) or the '99 Spurs (Short season). But if that scenario doesn't present itself, just win baby...Jermaind Dupri...PAY YOUR DAMN TAXES...Love Is Stronger than Pride...Sade is a sage. I don't know where she got those lyrics from other than pain, but this song will get you through the nights. A little dose of Frankie and Miles don't hurt either. But if you're the ultimate player, play some Getz and Gilberto live... AOL 8.0... Dig it man. Hotmail is played. Grow up and get the damn AOL. Step it up. Darryl Diggs...Where do I begin? I know Hobbes said to acknowledge a man is to honor him but brother, get it together. Congrats on publishing the book, but we have a lot of living to do. Remember that...Hoya Lawyas...The must-have for the Spring...I'll write poems everyday if need be...

I'm Joe, and this is how I see it...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home