Friday, February 03, 2006

A Message to Gen

Gen,
Thank you for your comment on my blog last night. Since I was there, and I don't know whether or not you were, I feel that my view of the game, while admittedly slanted, gave a full picture of what occurred.

The quote I use at the top of my blog has absolutely nothing to do with my blogging, but more to do with how I live my daily life. Thanks for noting it however.

And Dr. King didn't marry a Spelman woman, but Spelman women alone don't make up the world's population of woman of courage, character, intellect, poise, intelligence and unquestionable beauty. Fortunately he met Coretta Scott, a young lady who was a graduate of Antioch College, and more importantly as strong if not stronger than he.

Dr. King's choice in a mate however, is no reflection on the wealth of contributions that our dear Sisters to the east have made on 350 Spelman Lane for well over 100 years. And despite the great instruction that goes on at a number of our institutions nationally, there truly is no better place where an African American young woman can come to be educated academically, socially, and spiritually.

And since, given your comments, you haven't had the same advantages by not attending Spelman, I have to keep that in mind when looking to quickly criticize you for your comments, albeit possibly in jest in regards to my Sister school.

Gen, thank you for the comments. It is always refreshing to know that someone is reading my blog that I don't even know. You have no idea how special it was to read what you had to say.

I'm Joe, and that's how I see it.

7 Comments:

At Friday, February 03, 2006 10:28:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good rebuttal...I guess...

No, I wasn't at the game, though I've been in the past, you're right, it is a site to behold!

FYI: From my recollection, Spelman is not Morehouse's "official" "sister" school, I thought Bennett was...but then you would know better than I.

Pettiness over...

Have a good weekend Joe

Gen

 
At Friday, February 03, 2006 2:05:00 PM , Blogger enigma said...

Joe...I couldn't have said it better myself. Whether the ties are "official" or not, Spelman and Morehouse have shared a wonderful relationship of sister/brotherhood, and intellectual admiration for more than 100 years and WE will continue for many more to come. We're simply...unbreakable. No pettiness...just a mere clarification. Thanks for the support Brother and I wish you the best.

 
At Friday, February 03, 2006 8:51:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey at least you didn't get in trouble like I did after my last CAU/Morehouse game....remember that? How I said our cheerleaders got shown up and then at the next game I almost got jumped by first the cheerleaders...then their coach?

Or hows about when the "yous a hoe" girl sent a letter to the tiger after being lampooned by the Ians.....

I guess my point is twofold....you can't please em all...and if they can't take a joke eff em!

 
At Monday, February 06, 2006 3:18:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It must be genetic: Carlos' are just a lyrical brood. Your reply was sweeping, biting (though subtle), and grammatically correct. Though I attended Brown, I know a thing or two about other Ivy League co-eds doubting the validity of my scholarship and/or school. But once I dug a little, the hostility was usually bred from a rejection letter....

To being black, educated, and uppity!

As ever,
Marjon Rebecca Carlos
"You can't afford this lawsuit...."

 
At Tuesday, February 07, 2006 11:23:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

(Wow, I thought this convo had ended. So interesting how so many others have comments when I only addressed the blog-owner.) Hmmm.

Anywho, I guess I understand the "earned love" sentiment (though I thought we were supposed to love ALL in spite of--per Mr. Joe's blog F.Scott Fitzgerald quote on his blog). Indeed, Spelman is a GREAT school, there is no dispute there. I'm not in any way a "hater," have no reason to be (UGA was just fine for me, thanks), so that's not even an issue. The issue was what to me--an "outsider" apparently based on the M-House, Spel comments, lol--seemed like an extremely myopic view Mr. Joe and his alum with the "preference" sweatshirt seemed to take on women who should be "preferred." So appropriate that Coretta S. King who I referenced earlier is "going home" today. I mentioned her to point out that beauty and grace and wonderful-ness and all qualities that quality men "prefer" can come from all over. So limiting to think otherwise. That's all.

Peace...geez...

"Gen"

 
At Thursday, February 09, 2006 1:24:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gen,
Mind your fucking business

 
At Monday, February 13, 2006 11:00:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ray, um, who might you be, and why the hostility? And how do you KNOW this is not my "business?" Thanks for NEVER addressing me again...in advance...and God Bless you too...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home