Tuesday, February 14, 2006

National Public Radio



I'm addicted to NPR. My father got me into when I was growing up. Every saturday morning, when on our way to Boy Scouts, or soccer games, or Home Depot, Daddy would be listening to 'Car Talk' on 90.1 KERA in Dallas.

A few summers ago, while driving down Cascade Rd. with my friend Seth, I noticed the music for NPR's 'All Things Considered.' I looked over at him, laughed, and he said, it's something I got from my Dad. I understood all too well.

On my morning ride into work, and on the alarm clock waking me up, my radio dial is set to 90.1 which in Atlanta is WABE. There, in the early morning hours I hear Morning Edition with my main man Steve Inskeep. At 9AM, I switch over to 91.9 WCLK and listen to the great Ed Gordon do his show, News & Notes from 9-10.

One day while working, I was flipping through radio stations and I happened upon 'Fresh Air With Terry Gross.' I was instantly hooked. The first guest I ever remember hearing on the program was Mos Def. She speaks to everybody. From rappers to politicians to writers, to Supreme Court justices, to anybody whose anybody. She has a great delivery and style, and she's not afraid to ask the toughest questions. My mother calls it invasiveness, and Mommy's probably right, but I see it as the mark of an excellent journalist, not afraid whatsoever to dig as deep as possible in search of the truth.



If you don't listen to it, please try her program out one day. Go to NPR.org, click on her show's page and download a few interviews. See when she comes on in your area and enjoy.



I also strongly suggest listening to News & Notes with Ed Gordon for a different point of view on the news, primarily from people of color. His roundtable discussions, one on one interviews, Political Corner, and in-depth features make 9-10AM the most enjoyable hour of my day. Check him out on NPR.org as well.

I'm Joe, and that's how I see it.

1 Comments:

At Sunday, February 26, 2006 3:50:00 PM , Blogger jb said...

I'm a dedicated NPR listener but Terry Gross is the worst. Her interviews for hip hop week were vomit-inducing. For a good awkward laugh I'd recommend her interview with RZA in which she repeatedly corrects his grammar.

I, of course, love Ed Gordon though I could do without the raucous Friday roundtables.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home