Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Shows that should be on DVD...and aren't



To break a little bit from the monotony of Oscar week, I decided that I would voice my opinion on the growing epidemic of a lack of certain former television programs on DVD. If you go to your local Tower, Target, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc., you'll find at least one or two aisles of DVDs of shows that were so obscure, or that are so new, that you really don't want to see them on DVD. There are however, some things that need to come out on DVD RIGHT NOW, that currently are not available. Below is a list of the shows that should be available, but at press time, are not.

Beverly Hills 90210 - Seasons 1-8


Thursday nights at 7 or 8 depending on where you grew up, were definitely made cooler with the advent of this program. Even when I got to Howard, I found a loyal legion of followers of this show that had more soap operatic twists and turns than I care to admit. Dylan McKay is still the man.

Head of the Class - Seasons 1-3
This was a great show for nerdy kids, or for watching a young Robin Givens, whom other than Holly Robinson and Jasmine Guy, were basically all of the sistas on television at the time. Seasons 1-3 were when the show was still cool, and had not lost its touch or soul, which it did in later years.

A Different World - Seasons 2-5
Don't mess with me about this show. There's nothing I don't know. Try to stump me, and you will lose money, face, and a bit of your ego. Seasons 2-5 were when the show got on track and never looked back. They were more daring (read: preachy) in Season 6, but 2-5 was the heart and soul of this groundbreaking and highly important show who found its way in the Neilsen top ten at first with Cosby, and later with its own legs. (I know you saw Jasmine Guy's sweater in the picture above.)

Frank's Place
I'm not a huge CBS fan, but this show, a one hour African American drama, is so rare. What's worse about the fact that it only lasted one season was that it was so very, very good. There's no reason in the world that this show, with the racism of the time only lasted one season, is not on DVD.

Small Wonder
A syndicated hit. When I was at Howard, we watched this show non-stop, and I really can't explain why. If you aren't familiar, this is the little girl who was a robot. "Silly when said now, but those were the days when Freaknik, and Daytona, and Spring Break made you wanna drop out of college and never go back..."

The Larry Sanders Show - The Complete Series


I have a serious bone to pick with Bravo for dumping this show in syndication. I watched it every night it was on. I think there are one or two seasons out on DVD, but this show was amazing, and deserves its just do by having the full set available for the hundreds of thousands of fans who could never get enough of Larry, Artie and Hank.

Dream On - Seasons 1-5 (During my research I found that seasons 1 & 2 are available)

Before Sex & The City, and before Real Sex, there was Dream On. Now, for the pubescent age group, this show was a dream. Every episode, Martin Tupper played by Brian Benben, slept with gorgeous women, and HBO, true to form showed just the perfect amount of (A(dult Situations), N(udity), L(anguage)) in every single episode.

First and Ten - Seasons 1-5 (I found out this was available as well)
Another HBO gem, First and Ten was about the fictitious California Bulls, and the trials and tribulations of a ragtag misfit football team playing well below their potential. Also high on the aforementioned A, N, L.

He's the Mayor
Kevin Hooks plays the mayor of a town. Tackleberry plays the deputy. Hilarity ensues. Check it out.

Mama's Family
If you ever watched any of the original episodes, you know that it came from the incomparable Carol Burnett. This show was just as fresh and hilarious as the original sketches on Ms. Burnett's show, and though the plot varied over the years, Mama never did.

One movie that needs to come out on DVD...She's Gotta Have It.

I'm Joe and that's how I see it.

4 Comments:

At Wednesday, March 01, 2006 10:36:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

1st and Ten, oh baby! Wasn't OJ in that. Remember my man who wore the Jim McMahon headband with the words wrote across in black mark-o-lot. That was before the swoosh. The Bulls were the professional version of the 80's hurricanes. Sex, drugs, and football. What a life.

Skeet

 
At Wednesday, March 01, 2006 10:54:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I thought I was the ONLY person who remembered "Dream On!" Twas the bomb! Speaking of "Dream On," the lady on there is the same one who played Nina on "Just Shoot Me," if I recall correctly. And "Just Shoot Me" to me is one of the most underrated shows, I thought it was hilarious...and if it's not on DVD...it should be.

P.S. Per a previous post, you should probably tell those readers who have questions about your posts to post in the comment section, I think the interaction adds to your blog.

P.P.S. Also, let your non-friends/associates readers know when your book comes out, we can help plug it for you.

 
At Wednesday, March 01, 2006 7:00:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe,
I am personally waiting on the first few seasons of Martin to come out on DVD. Obviously the show took a huge nosedive once Tisha Campbell left, but I still find myself in tears when watching some of the old episodes because they were so funny.

 
At Sunday, March 05, 2006 8:13:00 PM , Blogger enigma said...

I definitely used to sneak and watch dream on...I thought it was a forgotten show. lol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home