Monday, April 10, 2006

Happy Birthday




My main man Christian C. Nwachukwu, Jr. sent me an email today that brought something to my attention. On this day, 81 years ago, my favorite book in the world, 'The Great Gatsby', was published.

When Googling the title looking for the cover art, situated above, I found a link to an article stating that Gatsby was in fact a Black man. Please check this out, and come up with your own way of looking at the story. I don't necessarily agree or disagree, but if you want to study something, you can make it look like anything you want to, with the righ amount of scrutiny. Black or not, I love this book and adore the characters in it. I would very much like to remake it...right now as a period piece.

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/books/news/08/14/salon.gatsby/

I'm Joe and that's how I see it.

1 Comments:

At Tuesday, April 11, 2006 1:30:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since I was in class with you when you began your Gatsby love affair, I'll weigh in on the topic. It's an interesting idea, but it is a big stretch. The listed "evidence" of close-cropped hair and being pale as death would just as well describe me--a white guy with short hair and an inability to tan. It's a fun what-if and might be remade with a black lead if MTV Films was doing it, but most serious scholarship would keep Gatsby as a white guy, a la Robert Redford.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home