Sunday, March 05, 2006

"Anything can happen now that we've slid over this bridge, anything at all..." - Jay Gatsby



What a show. What a show indeed. Okay, I'm going to do this in a few ways. First, I'll provide commentary, and then I'll do an Oscar's 20 questions. So, without further adieu, let's get into it.

The show, which ran 3.5 hours, went by pretty swiftly. It never seemed to go long, and I personally appreciated the film montages throughout the show that truly were an homage to the glorious past of Hollywood and its films, and in a sense, Oscar history.

Throughout the night, as I was talking to Skeet, I noticed that 'Memoirs of a Geisha' was quietly winning technical awards, which I found interesting throughout the night.

I was thoroughly impressed by the speeches of the winners, and more importantly, the sincerity with which they were delivered. George Clooney's speech had a point, and a very good one, that being outside of the mainstream can be a good thing when trying to change public perception and when trying to work to change much of the ills and wrongs in society.

Jon Stewart's opening monologue was funny and fresh. I was a bit tired after awhile though, that he had a comment after every segment. I felt that some things should just be respected and left alone.

The night's winners were kind of split down the middle. Brokeback Mountain won several awards, but then again, so did Crash. I called the wins for Brokeback for writing and directing, and then I was pretty sure that Crash would also win for writing. I feel that the relevance of Crash's story has more of a universal appeal, however, what Ang Lee said, the fact that love is so important, added a bit of relevance to Brokeback Mountain as well. However, I am so very proud that Crash won, and that I dragged several of my friends to go see this film in May and June of 2005. I'm also happy that I first mentioned Crash on this blog on May 23, 2005.

Morgan Freeman was one well dressed cat. Samuel L. Jackson, a member of Morehouse College's class of 1972 was also equally smooth and sartorially spectacular as a presenter. Also, in the crowd was a member of the Morehouse College class of 1968 and the president of the United Negro College Fund, Dr. Michael Lomax.

Three Six Mafia...There's so much to say. First of all, after Dolly Parton was out there all by herself, I presumed that they would give her the award simply because she's Dolly Parton, an icon. Having Chris (Luva Luva) 'Ludacris' Bridges do the intro for Three Six Mafia, was truly historical in and of itself. But then, Three Six came out, and they ripped it. I stated countless times on this blog and in conversation that "It's Hard Out Here For A Pimp" was everything that a Best Original Song should be, and fortunately the Academy felt the same way. When they won, I was so shocked and so excited, that I couldn't stop smiling, it was crazy.

A side note...it's interesting that Queen Latifah hasn't done anything noteworty since Chicago, but Hollywood still pushes her up as though she's a major film talent. That movie with Steve Martin, should get her Black card revoked for the sterotypes that she perpetuated in that film. Just a thought.

Robert Altman's honorary Oscar is long overdue. When I was a film student at Howard in the mid 90s, Altman was my directing guru. I am such a huge fan of his work, and his 1992 masterpiece, The Player, is the second DVD I bought. I went to see it the day it opened on May 19, 1992 at United Artists Theatres in Dallas. I was going that night to see Lethal Weapon 3, but it was sold out, so I went to see The Player, and my life was never the same. Long overdue kudos for Mr. Altman.

Oscar 20 Questions
1. Has Dolly Parton's head always been so large?
2. Was Jon Stewart really that funny?
3. Was Jamie's blue shirt appropriate?
4. Didn't Sam Jack and Morgan Freeman hold it down for Brothers everywhere?
5. Despite everything, and hatred aside, isn't Clooney too damn cool?
6. Wasn't everyone quietly rooting for Crash?
7. Is 6 hours of pre-Oscar coverage too much?
8. And despite everything else, wasn't Nicholson the coolest of them all?
9. Were you afraid that the car on the Crash set was going to explode?
10. Was it disturbing or just a commentary on reality that there were only a handful of African American stars down front?
11. Wasn't it refreshing that Luda had better seats than Spielberg?
12. If you ever won one, where would you put your Oscar?
13. Do you really believe that people in China were watching the Oscars?
14. Where was Crash actor and producer Don Cheadle?
15. Weren't you a little disturbed by Betty Bacall's stumbling through her lines?
16. Wasn't it cool to see Mickey Rooney in the crowd?
17. Doesn't the 'In Memoriam' section always get you down?
18. Was I the only one who noticed that Do The Right Thing was the second film shown in the 'provocative/important' film montage?
19. Didn't you love the euphorically ebullient exuberance that Three Six showed when they won?
20. Is it still hard out here for a pimp?

Oscar Fact:
Three Six Mafia has an Oscar and Martin Scorcese doesn't. Hilarious.

5 Comments:

At Monday, March 06, 2006 4:28:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

re 2: not really, which is unfortunate. re 3: i dont personally think so. just like the guy who accepted an award in jeans. re 10: i thought the handful was in full compliance w/ the current negro cap ... j/k. re 20: pimpin, for one night and one night only, got a little easier.

 
At Monday, March 06, 2006 11:10:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a feeling you'd write about this!

6) Crash...twas a great movie, but maybe I'm the only one in America who didn't think it was ground-breaking, at least in my circles, race is discussed ad nausem...but I am glad it won.

8) Jack Nicholson is everything a "star" is supposed to be! Oh so cool...

19) Love the alliteration Joe! Twas tight! lol

20) Indeed, indeed, and can I just say I find it HILARIOUS every time I have to hear a "proper" news person say that title! So funny!

I must say I think it's intersting you would try to revoke Queen Latifah's "Black card" and not 3 6 Mafia's...don't get that at all...and yes, I'm glad 3 6 won...but how is their image ANY less stereotypical than hers? That's baffling to me.

But anyway, good post...

 
At Monday, March 06, 2006 11:44:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now That Three Six Mafia has won an Oscar, I know that there is hope out here foe all negroe boys and girls

 
At Monday, March 06, 2006 2:01:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, good points!

i, too, dragged my friends to see crash. they had no idea what is was about and never heard of it, but i made them come anyway and promised to go see other movies with them. they loved it, and i loved it: it was everything i wanted it to be and more, and it deserved the awards it got. writing i thought i was a given, but hey.

ludacris's seat? good point! ha.

and yes, i noticed the spike lee clip. in fact, i was hoping to see more. talk about a man whose award is long over due. he's got another one coming too..

 
At Monday, March 06, 2006 2:40:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still curious as to where Don Cheadle was. I read a few articles leading up to the Oscars about how there was a controversy about only allowing two of the six producers be listed under the nomination but I still figured he would show up. Especially, since he was the one who spoke for them at the SAG awards.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home