Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Paul Gleason



Many people, like my friends, remember Paul Gleason for his role in 'The Breakfast Club' as Principal Richard Vernon. I however, love his role as Clarence Beeks in 'Trading Places.' While both roles are highly entertaining and hold up extremely well over time, his sinister air and total attitude struck a nerve in me that I've responded to in all of his work.

If you're really a fan of Mr. Gleason, you will also recall his work as a bad cop in the extremely hilarious Chris Tucker/Brett Ratner vehicle 'Money Talks.' He's essentially the same guy in all of his films; tough, mean, but somehow endearing. The first time he was actually nice in a film I remember was in 'Van Wilder' as Professor Todd McDoogle wherein all he wanted to do was get Van to push himself to be the best that he could be.

I think that Professor McDoogle and Principal Vernon were similar in that they wanted the best from their students. Vernon used less conventional methods, while McDoogle applied heat. However, in whatever role he played in, Gleason shined as only he could as a lovably mean old cuss.

Mr. Gleason will be missed, but we've always got the memories on film.

I'm Joe and that's how I see it.

4 Comments:

At Wednesday, May 31, 2006 4:57:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course I googled his name and I learned he was 67. Wow - thought he was a little younger than that.

How am I missing all the news? Thank goodness for alert bloggers, huh?

 
At Friday, June 30, 2006 8:19:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»

 
At Monday, July 17, 2006 8:52:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
»

 
At Monday, July 24, 2006 12:19:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Especially I like the first site. But other links are informative too, if you are interested check all those links.http://neveo.info/1229.html and http://googleindex.info/939.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home