Friday, August 08, 2003

MY ULTIMATE DINNER PARTY

When I was a young child, and my father was still in his residency at Parkland Hospital in Dallas, my parents enrolled me into the Greenhill School. I was tested rigorously, and then awarded a spot in the pre-kindergarten class of the 1979-80 school year. I stayed at Greenhill until May of 1987, when it was felt by the people at Greenhill and my parents that due to a learning difference, and Greenhill's style of teaching, that perhaps my academic skills were better suited for a closed classroom environment. The fall of 1987, I began my 7th grade year at Lakehill Preparatory School in the East Dallas semi-paradise of Lakewood. I was a north Dallas boy, and had been for years, so the move was not only tough emotionally, but socially. Anyway, at Greenhill, there was an award winning newspaper called, 'The Evergreen.' My lifelong goal at the age of 10 was to write for the this rag. However, I left before I could, but fortunately my brother did eventually write for the 'Evergreen' and became a featured cartoonist. Anyway, when I was about 10 or 11 years old, there was a young man who wrote for the 'Evergreen' who would interview people and ask them who would be at their dream dinner party. Never having the chance to be interviewed by him, I feel that now is a perfect time...

First off, we'll have to find the perfect place for the dinner party, and that place will be in Dallas. If you haven't been to Big D, then you must go. It's a beautiful place filled with beautiful people and the locale is a constant surprise. If I had to choose one place to eat in Dallas, it would be the Mansion on Turtle Creek. It's a beautiful place and a jacket is required.

On to the guest list...

The point of this exercise is to gather together people from the past and present to have the most interesting dinner party imaginable...

First off, I would invite my friend Christian Nwachukwu. He is probably one of the most intelligent and opinionated people that I know. One of the few people that at his young age reads Harper's instead of Entertainment Weekly, Sports Illustrated or People, and he's one hell of a writer. Not to mention his small town sensibilities, (see Manson, NC) lend credence to his set of values and his unquestionable integrity.

Next, I would invite Benjamin Elijah Mays, former Morehouse College president. I'd invite ol' Benny because I think he'd have a great deal of witty and pertinent things to say. Known as a great orator and authoritarian, I feel his presence at the dinner would lead the conversation in a way that could't help being serious. And besides, I could ask him about Old Morehouse, something I've been longing to learn about for years.

F. Scott Fitzgerald would have to be next on my list. He's my favorite writer. He may not want to sit down with some of us, due to the fact that we're African Americans, but I think that after awhile, he'd just have to get over it. I do however think that he would provide keen insight to the time of the 'Lost Generation', a time in American history that I am most intrigued with. He'd also be able to definitely handle his liquor.

A young Lena Horne would be quite a joy to have at the table as well. Her vitality, beauty, intelligence and aura would be almost impossible to deny as a great dinner guest. I think that if she said just a few things in that beautiful Georgia accent, all of the men's minds and hearts will melt into mush before they know it.

Stevie Wonder would have to be there. As a child and a young adult, I've loved and lived for his music. His humanitarian efforts alone should command sainthood, and I think he'd be a lively addition to the dinner conversation.

Francis Albert Sinatra definitely has to be included. He's confidence personified. He's the utmost in cool, and a personal hero of mine.

Film producer Robert Evans would also be invited. After reading his book, "The Kid Stays in the Picture", he too became one of my personal heroes because of his innovation and his resilience.

I would also invite Lawerence Otis Graham, attorney and writer of several works including, "Our Kind of People." I think his insight into the Black upper class would spark lively debate with the likes of young Nwachukwu, Dr. Mays and myself.

Rounding out the list would be a coupla New Yorkers, Spike Lee and Woody Allen. Though I'm sure that Spike would dissappoint me on a conversationalist level, I'm more than positive that he'd make up for it in raw frankness. Woody would simply make me laugh in ways that only I can describe and no one else but my brother Jordan can understand.

As my date to this dinner party...tough one pally...tough one indeed...I think I'd bring two dates; my brother and sister. They are two of the funniest, engaging and intelligent people I know, so I think they'd make excellent dinner companions.

A few others I left out are: JFK, William Jefferson Clinton, FDR, Thomas Jefferson, Churchill, Sam Houston, Ann Richards, Muhammad Ali, Jack Nicholson, Albert Brooks, John Hughes, Art Cooper (we'll miss you), John H. Johnson, Billy Dee Williams, Halle Berry, Maynard Jackson, LBJ, Fidel Castro, Steven Spielberg, Sanaa Lathan, Phoebe Cates, Nia Long, Vertner Woodson Tandy and Michael Irvin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home