Thursday, October 02, 2003

Rantings and Ravings...

Rantings and Ravings...

Well it's been some time since I've hit this thing up. But since my main man Josh and one of my attorneys in waiting, JC told me I should do it, here I am, back again...

So much going on man, so much going on...Where do I even begin?

Okay, let's see, I'm gonna talk about the Cowboys, Rush Limbaugh, Michael Irvin, Morehouse's football decline, Tuna, Bush and the CIA, the Lakehill Class of 1993, The Longhorns, my new phone number, Outkast and whether or not you're a part of this thing...

COWBOYS
My Cowboys are 2-1...Who would've thunk it? Gaging from the Cowboys opening schedule, perhaps the toughest one in NFL history for a team that was 5-11 last year, the Pokes have ended the usually tumultuous month of September with a very respectable 2-1 mark. The great thing is that they haven't been out of any game they played. Now, if someone told you in June that after playing Atlanta, the Giants and the Jets three weeks in a row, that Dallas would be 2-1, and undefeated at the Meadowlands, you'd have thought they were crazy. I mean how in the world could a team coached by a Tuna, starting Quincy Carter and Daryl Hambrick have beaten two playoff teams, both at home. Shockey, where be your jibes now? I hate we hate to beat my man Herm Edwards, but this thing is a business...so let's keep rolling. Granted, the Cowboys after losing to a Vick-less Atlanta at home, limped into the Meadowlands and put on one of the most stirring wins in Franchise history, but they beat a completely hapless Jets team missing it's main star, Chad Pennington.

RUSH
Now, I was watching Rush on Sunday morning, and I wasn't outraged. I'm as black as anyone else I know, and I personally felt that what he said was typical Rush. I don't think he was being any more racist than he normally is. However in this situation, I feel that he wasn't attempting to be overtly racist. He was offering an opinion, one that is protected constitutionally. However, anyone who has ever watched Mr. McNabb play ball in highschool in Chicago, collegiately at Syracuse or professionally in Philly, knows that he truly is the real deal. Perhaps other quarterbacks like Akili Smith or Aaron Brooks have been hyped up, but certainly not McNabb, who just last year led his team to the NFC Championship that they lost to the eventual World Champions. And yes, QBs get far too much credit, but it didn't seem to be a problem for Rush when evalutaing the play of Steve Young (who had Jerry Rice, Ricky Watters, Bryant Young, Ken Norton, Steve Romanowski, Deion Sanders, Dana Stubblefield, etc.), Troy Aikman (who had Emmitt Smith, Daryl Johnston, Michael Irvin, Mark Stepnoski, Nate Newton, Jay Novacek, Ken Norton, Leon Lett, Tony Tolbert, Charles Haley, Russell Maryland, Darren Woodson, Deion Sanders, etc.) to name a few. Come on Rush...

MICHAEL IRVIN
My future Hall of Famer...why are you so darn animated every Sunday morning. Take it down a notch killer. And please ESPN, get Mike some actual suits made of natural fibers. I must say by the way, that Josh did predict this whole career move.

MOREHOUSE FOOTBALL...GONE SOUTH
Writing this segment hurts the innards of my very being. My beloved Maroon Tigers are now 1-4. Last week however, they beat Johnson C. Smith in style. Young J.D. Washington, son of Academy Award winner Denzel, ran for 242 yards and had a pair of TDs in Morehouse's 39-21 victory in Charlotte. However, back here at B.T. Harvey stadium, replete with new lights (thanks Mr. Washington), the best grass in years, the best band in the land, the finest cheerleaders anywhere, and the most arrogant fans in the world, the fellas can't win a game. Sure it's a blast to go to the game and sit near the Washington family, and yuk it up with your boys and talk junk about the other team, but I kinda got used to winning those games that we're now losing. All I know is, we better win homecoming.

TUNA
Bill Parcells, we love ya. 'Nuff said. For what you did in September alone, we love ya.

BUSH AND THE CIA
I believe Malcolm said it best when he mentioned the chickens coming home to roost. This situation is not only interestingly humorous, but so ironic that it borders on plain stupidity. No, I don't believe that Bush had anything to do with it, but the embarassment, is more than enough hilarity for me pally.

THE LAKEHILL CLASS OF 1993
This past week, I've been in constant communication with my classmates from my high school class of 1993 at the prestigious Lakehill Preparatory School, nestled in the beautifully cozy confines of the Lakewood section of East Dallas. I communicate with class prez Mitch Vaughan, almost daily. He's engaged, and finishing up his Orthodontistry residency in Memphis. This past week, I also spoke with Megan Sweesy (Gilbride). Megan is married and expecting. She was as funny as ever and had me laughing for hours. I'm tracking down others, because I feel it far too important for all of us to be in constant contact. I miss LPS and the wonderful relationships that I forged there.

UT LONGHORNS
I love these guys. I absolutely do. NCAA 2004 got me so into this game it's unreal. I still think Coach Brown should start Vince Young, or at least play him more, but man I love this guys from Chance Mock to Vince Young, to Roy Williams to Nate Vasher, gotta love the Horns in '03. Look out Sooners. That Golden Hat is coming back our way.

MY NEW NUMBER
678.576.5507

OUTKAST
Words are fruitless and can't possibly do justice to what Outkast has produced and left for the rest of us to decipher. Speakerboxxx/The Love Below is musical genius, and if it's not up for album of the year, I'll never take another Grammy show seriously again. This album should win every award that has been created for music, because this album is all music.

"What started as the greatest rap group ever, is now the greatest band in the world..." - GQ Magazine, October 2003

YOU'RE NOT A PART OF THIS THING
There is a growing concern that I have for those individuals who so badly want to be a part of this thing. This thing is the whole 'Morehouse & Spelman' thing. People who didn't attend Morehouse or SPelman, but who badly wished they had. People who believe that if they hang out with us, they will somehow be a part of this, but they never will. I don't care if you're in our fashion shows, write for our papers, come to our parties, support our athletics, hang out at our houses, if we date you, if you are our brothers and sisters, you're not a part of this thing. The most select group of African Americans in the world. It's worldwide doc. Remember that. This is only our thing, just Morehouse, just Spelman. If you act like you don't know what I'm talking about, you're lying to yourself. We love you Clark Atlanta, FAMU, Fisk, Howard, Hampton, Morris Brown, Tuskegee, but naw...you're not a part of this. Our thing is unique. Our thing is often imitated, never duplicated. Our thing is studied. Our thing is emulated. Our thing is coveted. Our thing is misunderstood. Our thing is OUR THING, and most importantly, it's not YOUR THING. You're NOT A PART OF THIS THING.

I'm Joe and this is how I see it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home