Wednesday, November 19, 2003

It's Been A Long Time...

In the words of the great Rakim, "It's been a long time..." I'm back pally, and in a big way...

Okay, I'm sitting here watching 'Grown Folks' on BET, and as I'm watching SWV's video for "Right Here" with that great MJ hook in the background, I'm reminiscent of those magical and free times that were 1993. Life was so sweet back then...Nice and easy pally. In the video though, SWV is wearing horseback riding pants...why don't women wear those anymore?

Anyway, in 1993, I lived in Dr. Charles Richard Drew Hall, room 402. Drew is located at the northern most tip of Howard University's campus. I had a single room that overlooked the patio of the dorm. My room had three power outlets, one phone line, two lights, a broken closet door, a desk, a bed and a chair...that's right man, no air, just heat.

I had a single, and I lived on a hallway of all singles. The cat to my right was Jamaican, and would blast dancehall music. The cat to my left was a huge Jodeci fan. One night he played Jodeci's 'Cry for You' 200 times.

The first people I met up with were my friends Tom and Gene. I had grown up with them in Dallas, and they were both sophomores. Gene lived in Cook Hall, the nicest dorm on campus. Tom lived in the Howard Plaza Towers, another highly sought after address.

In my dorm, I met up with another cat from Dallas, William Ray Taylor. He was a big guy. Ray had been a state champion wrestler at St. Mark's in Dallas. Despite his size, Ray was a lovable humorist and prankster. One night, while playing cards, Ray introduced me to Michael "Ace" Bridgeman, another guy from Texas. Ace lived on the third floor of Drew. We went up to where Ace lived and I met Jeff Lyles, Dorian Daggs, Ben Dyson, Kyle Holland, Marcel Hillie, Jason Bradley, Braeden Trottman and a host of others. We did a lot together; football games, parties, dances, cards, bowling...or just chillin'.

When I wasn't with the fellas, I chilled with my friend James Jones, Jr. from Chicago. Jimmy introduced me to Howard. With Jimmy, there was no one that I couldn't meet. I don't know how he knew everybody, but he did. From the most beautiful women, to fellas on the football team, Jimmy knew them all.

All that time, the Cowboys were playing great football and went on to go 12-4 and win the Super Bowl.

The music of the time was Dr. Dre & Snoop, A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Jodeci, Wu Tang Clan, and the game of the time was Madden 93.

What I remember the most is the fellas, the times, the feeling of togetherness, and the fact that no matter what we were there for each other. Now, of the cats I mentioned, everyone of them is a professional or an exec of some type. A coupla lawyers, a host of businessmen, a writer, a scientist, a doctor...man what a crew.

I'm Joe and that's how I see it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home