Monday, January 24, 2005

The Aftermath of the Title Games

Okay, I was 1-1. I have no problem with that record. I was raised in Dallas, Tx. I'm a Dallas kid. I'm a Cowboys fan, a Mavs fan, a Rangers fan, a Stars fan. Having said that, I'm an NFC East fan, a Midwest Division fan, an AL West fan, etc.

I'm very happy that Philly is going to the Super Bowl for a few reasons...

1) I'm very proud for the owner of the Eagles, Jeff Lurie.
In the film Jerry Maguire, Tom Cruise as the lead, greats Jeff Lurie, and Cruise says, "I hail you! I hail you!" Lurie responds, "Thanks, but we've got to win Super Bowls!" Since he bought the Eagles, that's what he's been trying to do for the fortunes of his own family as well as the wonderful fans of Philadelphia. And they finally did it. I wish Ray Rhodes could have done it, but it took Andy Reid and Donavan McNabb to do it, and hey it's finally here.

2) The Eagles are from the NFC East.
If you're gonna represent the Conference in the big show, you better be from my team's division. In other words, if you beat us, then you better win it all. It is my sincerest hope that they do win it all in a thrilling way.

3) Donavan McNabb
In a game that pitted two African American quarterbacks squaring off for the first time in NFL history in a championship round of the playoffs, McNabb was simply the better man. He was cool, calm, poised, and truly a champion. Mike Vick will be that way one day. It will happen sooner than thought in Atlanta. I watched this happen in Dallas in the 90's. You field teams that you think will go all the way, and they don't do it until it's their time. That phenomenon just happened in Philly, and now it's going to happen in Atlanta. I'm sure the Falcons are the odds on fave to represent the conference in Super Bowl XL, and why not?

4) Black quarterback in the Super Bowl...
They never disappoint. It's only happened twice, Doug Williams in a win, and Steve McNair in a dazzling loss, but when it happens, the Brothers show up to play, and February 6th, should be no exception.

I'm also happy that Atlanta lost because they needed that. It's good to lose sometimes. It's good to be exposed and see what it is that you should improve on. It's good to know the feeling and taste of blood in your mouth, so that you as a team, absolutely know that you never, ever want that feeling again. Ask Philly how it feels.

I have no comments on the AFC side. The Pats were just AWESOME. Nothing needs to be said, because it will do them no justice, whatsoever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home