Tuesday, February 22, 2005

What I'm Listening to Right Now

I was speaking to a friend of mine today and he was asking me what I've been listening to, so I figured I'd share it with you...

Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill - Tracks 2, 7, 8, 10
The reason I like this album and this music is that she is so angry. And it truly shows in the melody, the lyrics and the mood in the songs, 'You Oughta Know', 'You Live, You Learn', 'Head Over Feet' and 'Ironic.'

The Roots - Phrenology - 'The Seed 2.0' and 'Break You Off'
Raw, beautiful jams.

U2 - Joshua Tree - 'Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For', 'With and Without You'
Bono's crooning on these two songs takes me back to 7th grade and the blissful days that were 1987-88.

Paul Simon - Hearts and Bones - 'Hearts and Bones', 'Negotiations and Love Songs', 'Rene and Georgette Magritte With their Dog After the War', 'The Late Great Johnny Ace'
Paul recorded this album in the wake of his dissolving union with Carrie Fisher. The pain is between the lines and the heartache comes out smoothly in his cool, calm voice. 'Hearts and Bones' may be one of the greatest songs ever written.

The Best Man Soundtrack - Various Artists
It harkens back to one helluva time.

Sade - Lovers Rock
I went to this tour. Seeing Sade live is one of the things that you must do before you pass on to eternity. She is an unbelievable live performer and gives it her absolute all in concert. Whenever I hear 'Pearls' I still get goosebumps remembering the way that her blood vessels were exposed as she sang. Real. But Lovers Rock is so smooth it's like riding in your car on Sunday when the sun has just gone down, while sipping a warm latte, wearing a cashmere sweater, cashmere slacks, cashmere socks and driving mocs lined in cashmere. Smooth.

T.I. - You Don't Know Me
The title alone is priceless. I love the beat, the lyrics, the chorus, the video. I love this song. T.I. won me over a long time ago, but he keeps it strong with songs like this.

Radiohead - Karma Police
I first heard this song while playing John Madden 2002 in my friend Tommy D's room in the Triplex. This song was the theme song of the election of my then roommate Randall Woodfin to the SGA Presidency at Morehouse. The verse, "this is what you get, this is what you get, this is what you get, when you mess with us..." is better than some groups whole albums.

I'm Joe and that's how I see it.

Oh, by the way I suggest all of these songs/albums to you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home